Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014 Mount TBR sign-up

Two years ago, I discovered the world of online reading challenges, including a TBR (To Be Read) challenge in which you make a list of twelve books (one for each month) that you plan to read in the coming year with the option of making an alternate list of twelve additional titles. The challenge guidelines indicated that participants should join the Yahoo! group created for the challenge and post their lists by Dec. 31, 2011. Since I was a few months late and had never participated in something like this, I didn't officially sign up, but decided to play the 'home version' instead. I made my lists (books recommended/loaned by friends for the original list and books I selected myself for the alternate list), read my books, blogged about some of them, and managed to knock off eight titles (5 original, 3 alternates) over the course of 2012.

Last year, I happened across the Mount TBR Reading Challenge, hosted by My Reader's Block. I liked the mountain climbing theme and appreciated that the pre-posted list was optional. I bookmarked the sign-up page so it would be handy when I got around to joining, but then life happened and book blogging just, well, didn't. I never got around to actually signing up for this challenge either, but I did read about a dozen books from my TBR pile, and if I had signed up for a TBR challenge, it would have been this one. 

This year, I still have several loaned books on my shelf downstairs and I am still intent on reading and returning them, not to mention finally reading more of the books I've collected over the years and still haven't read. I still miss the Rockies and the mountain climbing still appeals, and although I have several titles in mind to read this year, I still appreciate the flexibility that Mount TBR offers.

So... I'm going to actually sign up to officially climb Mount TBR this year. (It probably helps that earlier today I finished a book that qualifies.) Maybe the Rockies connection plays a small part in it, but I am going to start small and aim for the Pike's Peak level (12 books).


Pike's Peak
1. The Viper's Nest by Peter Lerangis (The 39 Clues, book 6) - 1/1/14
2. Black Sunday by Thomas Harris - 1/11/14
3. The Secret of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien - 2/1/14
4. On the Origin of PCs by Rich Burlew (The Order of the Stick, book 2) - 2/3/14
5. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant - 2/13/14
6. Bed Rest by Sarah Bilston - 2/28/14
7. The Ravenmaster's Secret: Escape from the Tower of London by Elvira Woodruff - 3/1/14
8. The Emperor's Code by Gordon Korman - 3/7/14
9. Storm Warning by Linda Sue Park - 3/21/14
10. Beastly by Alex Flinn - 4/5/14
11. A Doctor at Calvary by Pierre Barbet - 4/19/14
12. Into the Gauntlet by Margaret Peterson Haddix - 4/22/14
Mount Blanc
13. Lighten Up by Peter Walsh - 4/26/14
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.

No comments:

Post a Comment