Tuesday, January 31, 2017

January 2017

1. Yes, My Accent Is Real by Kunal Nayyar, read by the author, 2015, 7hr, DDC 791.4502 (1/1/17)
The actor known for playing Raj Koothrappali on The Big Bang Theory shares stories from his life. I listened to the audiobook, which I highly recommend because not only is it a very funny book in itself, but Nayyar does the reading, and who would pass up the chance to listen to Raj tell stories?

2. One Librarian by Katherine Smith Diehl, 1956, 165 pg, DDC 027.7  (1/7/17)
Diehl recounts her experiences as the solo librarian at a small religiously-affiliated junior college in Texas during the 1940s and early 1950s. She discusses furnishings and layout, materials selection, interactions with faculty and administration, library policy, and the crucial role student workers play in day-to-day operations. Although written for her specific time and place, much of what she says is relevant to the libraries of today as well.

3. Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad #1) by David Eddings, read by Cameron Beierle, 2003, 10hr 25m (1/12/17)
I read the Belgariad and about half of the Malloreon back in the early nineties, and after a few years of selecting books based on reading challenge criteria, I have been wanting to dive into more fantasy. When I came across Pawn of Prophecy on Hoopla, I decided it might be nice to reunite with Garion, Polgara, and Belgarath, but I was particularly delighted to remember Silk's existence just as he was entering the story.

4. Willow by Wayland Drew, 1988, 276 pg (1/13/17)
Speaking of reading more fantasy and revisiting old friends... I came across my copy of Willow while cataloging my mountain of scifi/fantasy. Yes, it's a movie novelization, and I'm generally not a fan of those. However, this novelization is a good one. It provides more depth in the backstories than I've typically seen, and the story is enjoyable. I may just have to hunt up the movie for a rewatch one of these days.

5. When Red is Black (Inspector Chen #3) by Qui Xiaolong, 2004, 310 pg (1/14/17)
I actually checked out this book with the intention of reading it as my X author book for last year. When I realized I wouldn't be able to finish it in time to count for 2016, I decided to hold off and read it at the beginning of 2017 so I could take care of that pesky X author category early on. I enjoyed the first two Inspector Chen books when I read them in previous years, and this one was also good. I like how Xiaolong weaves cultural elements and explanations into the narration in a way that helps readers who are not familiar with Chinese culture and history feel less ignorant without being weighed down by exposition.

6. Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson, read by the author, 2015, 8.5hr, 070.92 (1/15/17)
 
7. A Prefect's Uncle by P. G. Wodehouse, 1972, 154 pg (1/16/17)
I was wandering past the stacks containing the children's collection at our university library one afternoon when I noticed some P. G. Wodehouse books on one of the shelves. I have been sort of falling in love with Wodehouse's writing over the past couple of years, but experience his stories almost exclusively through audiobooks. (I've also watched the television adaptations of his work in Jeeves & Wooster and - one of my very favorites - Blandings.) Since I couldn't remember actually reading any of his books, I flipped through the few that were on the shelf and checked out the one that seemed to have been written the earliest. It's full of  English boarding school boys with their escapades and cricket matches, as well as Wodehouse's usual turns of phrase that amuse me so greatly.

If you'd like a peek at my odd sense of humor, here is an excerpt from chapter one that made me laugh. In it, Marriott is asking Gethryn for help in deciphering part of a letter he has received from one of his aunts, asking him to befriend a new boy at the school.
'His name is—'

'Well?'
'That's the point. At this point the manuscript becomes absolutely illegible. I have conjectured Percy for the first name. It may be Richard, but I'll plunge on Percy. It's the surname that stumps me. Personally, I think it's MacCow, though I trust it isn't, for the kid's sake. I showed the letter to my brother, the one who's at Oxford. He swore it was Watson, but, on being pressed, hedged with Sandys. You may as well contribute your little bit. What do you make of it?'
Gethryn scrutinized the document with care.
'She begins with a D. You can see that.'
'Well?'
'Next letter a or u. I see. Of course. It's Duncan.'
'Think so?' said Marriott doubtfully. 'Well, let's go and ask the matron if she knows anything about him.'
'Miss Jones,' he said, when they had reached the House, 'have you on your list of new boys a sportsman of the name of MacCow or Watson? I am also prepared to accept Sandys or Duncan. The Christian name is either Richard or Percy. There, that gives you a fairly wide field to choose from.'
'There's a P. V. Wilson on the list,' said the matron, after an inspection of that document.
'That must be the man,' said Marriott.
(If you'd like to experience the rest, the ebook is available from Project Gutenberg and an audio version is in progress at LibriVox.)

8. The Beverly Hillbillies (stage adaptation) by D. D. Brooke, 1968, 96pg, play in 3 acts (9m/12f) (1/23/17)
I have been working on a project to catalog and organize my personal library and recently tackled my drama boxes. Many years ago, a friend of mine passed along several scripts that had been left in her classroom by her predecessor, including 20 copies of the stage adaptation of The Beverly Hillbillies. I read the script to determine whether or not I should hold on to these scripts for the eventual someday when I would use them to direct a production. The script has plenty of cheesy bits, some fun moments, and some not-exactly-p.c. elements. If there are die-hard Hillbillies fans out there who want to help a new generation gain an appreciation for Granny, Jed, Elly May, and Jethro, this is the show for them. I do not happen to be one of these people, so I will be releasing these scripts so they can find a new home.

9. Has American Christianity Failed? by Bryan Wolfmueller, 2016, 250 pg, DDC 230.41 (1/24/17)

10. Coriolanus by William Shakespeare, 1999, 142 pg (1/29/17)
2016 marked the 400th anniversary of William Shakespeare's death, so my main reading challenge - beyond my usual Title and Author A-Z and Dewey Decimal challenges - was to read the complete works of Shakespeare. I didn't quite complete the challenge, but I came close! Coriolanus was the lone remaining work by the end of the year.

Title A-Z: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z #
Author A-Z: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Dewey: 000 100 200 300 400 500 600 700 800 900

TBR: 4
Library Books: 6

Print: 7
Audio: 3

Children's: 1
Adult: 3
Scripts: 2
Nonfiction: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment